Saturday, November 8, 2008

MacGregor Plaid



I found this image here.

Last night, Kathy and I drove up to Williamsburg, had great open-faced turkey sandwiches and listened to some celtic harp playing at Shields Tavern, and bought me a MacGregor tartan bow tie to wear for my Skinner Anthology performances. The Skinner Clan is a subset of the MacGregor Clan. For a time, the use of the name "MacGregor" was outlawed, and Skinner was one of many names used by Macgregors during that time.

I wonder how connected my Skinner and Robertson ancestors felt to their Scottish heritage. It is well-represented in their collection of music which includes variations on "Kinlock of Kinlock," "The Devil among the Taylors," "Auld Lang Syne," as well as Virginia Reels. The opening of the Battle of Waterloo sounds like a fiddle tune as well.

No comments: